Already an experienced tandem pilot or instructor?
You are passionate about sharing the joy of paragliding?
Your vocational goal is to help increase safety and standards worldwide?
We are excited to have you join the APPI network of professional instructors and schools. Click on a APPI course to view details about it.
Benefits of joining
- APPI certifications are globally respected,
- Worldwide employment opportunities,
- Attract business to your school with the APPI member’s network,
- Be a part of a competent instructor team.
In order to integrate experienced tandem pilots and instructors into the APPI system, we have designed a specific program called the “Pro-workshop”. Contact us and we will review your experience in order to find the best program for you.
APPI proworkshops are offered around the world at different times and places.
During those seminars you will get the all the educational material, tools and methods APPI instructors are using all around the world.
These seminars features among other items:
- Material: aging control, smart and easy tools to assess gliders airworthiness,
- Flight mechanics: up to date knowledge and the latest piloting techniques,
- Forecast, aerology: advanced tools and applications,
- Safety: latest knowledge about accidentology and strategies to lower risk exposure (James Reason’s theory, risk homeostasis...),
- Tandem: proven safe and effective operating procedures.
- Fully focused on the APPI teaching method
- Safety procedures,
- Guiding techniques,
- Tools to prepare a course,
- Education methods,
- Analysis and debriefing tools...
Contents have been assembled by high level specialists ( Master instructors, paraglider designers, scientists, psychologists, experts of paragliding materials aging control, world-class XC or acro pilots, SIV instructors...)
It will also be an opportunity for us to get your opinion on the course contents.
Our goal is also to identify the future Master Instructors, and begin preparing them to give these types of professional classes worldwide.
At the end of those seminars you will get the rating corresponding to your skills, experience and knowledge according to APPI standard.
Pro-workshops details & requirements
A / General requirements to register for a Pro-workshop.
- Be over 18 years of age,
- Submit a first aid certificate,
- Submit proof of advanced SIV certified by an APPI SIV master or video showing the following mandatory maneuvers:
- Spiral dive damped exit,
- Pitch control,
- Stall, back fly, exit,
- Spin 360 degrees mini, exit,
- Maintained asymmetrical collapse, autorotation SAT type, exit.
- clean take off with safety check,
- spiral 720° exit on axis in less than 15 sec glider stabilized,
- pitch and pitch control,
- landing with 4 sec minimum straight final in a 15m diameter target.
B / Tandem Pro-workshop requirements
To qualify for APPI non commercial tandem pilot, you should provide proof of a minimum of:
- 2 years paragliding activity,
- 50 tandem flights as pilot documented.
- 3 years experience paragliding activity,
- one year tandem operating,
- 150 tandem flights as pilot documented.
Upon the result of the exam, if not failed, the master instructor in charge may validate Non Commercial Tandem Pilot status as either “pending” or “validated”, or APPI pro tandem pilot status as either “pending” or “validated”.
C / Instructor Pro-workshop requirements
Instructor pro-workshop is fully focused on pedagogy applied to paragliding teaching, and guiding safety procedures and techniques.
To qualify for APPI instructor proworkshop, you should provide proof of a minimum of:
- 4 years paragliding activity,
- 2 years tandem operating, 150 tandem flights as pilot,
- 2 years instructor activity,15 students taught from first flights to first autonomy (IPPI 3),
- at least non commercial tandem validated thru APPI proworkshop or pro-course (not by equivalence).
If the exam is not fully validated, the master in charge will give to the participant a clear road-map of what they need to do to improve. Standard procedure is that the participant should re-take the exams at a forthcoming pro workshop, repeat attendance of the full workshop is usually not mandatory unless the master advises it.
Each Pro-workshop concludes with a highest possible certification of APPI instructor in progress.
D / Instructor final exam
- Glider’s trim control,
- APPI system exam,
- at least non commercial tandem qualification, with tandem operation showing perfect procedures,
- pedagogical session,
- student guiding solid and professional,
- theory grade above or equal to 4/5. Then the student is eligible for the final Instructor exam.
- show they handle perfectly the APPI website, documents and student registration,
- show they master APPI pedagogical tools,
- give theoretical course to students,
- give practical course in the field prepared with the APPI session tool,
- show good safety management.
E / Equivalence
F / Rating currency program
APPI does not make any profit on the workshops, the price is fixed freely by the masters who organize it. We strive to keep a low cost to enable everyone to participate.